You are here
Centre for Empowerment of Women With Disabilities
Centre for Women Empowerment with Disabilities
Social evils are more prevalent in rural and remote areas with education levels being poor and exploitation being very high. Women with disabilities are subject to even more discrimination not only in the society outside but sadly in their own families too. Families constantly compare them and discriminate them from their siblings. They also discourage the girl child from going out of the family and pursuing education due to various reasons. People with visual impairment from marginalized communities and financially weaker sections are highly ignorant about the options available to them. Apart from ignorance, genuine reasons for concern are the security hazards faced by girls in general and those with any kind of disability in particular. These issues along with lack of a safe and secure environment for them to stay prevent girls/women with disability to venture out and seek better opportunities in their lives.
Bearing all the associated issues in mind and knowing that adequate safe and secure training and hostel facility is not available for women with disabilities in Bangalore, Mitra Jyothi in collaboration with The Hans Foundation started The Centre for Empowerment of Women with Disability (CEWD). It is a hostel facility that was inaugurated in January 2016. It is located in ChikkaThogur, Hosa Road, Electronic City, Bangalore.
- Provide a safe shelter/accommodation for working/studying women with physical/visual disabilities.
- Reduce the financial burden on the beneficiaries by providing the facility at very nominal and subsidized cost
- Encourage rural women with disabilities to go for mainstream education in colleges /universities over distance education by providing them a hostel accommodation which otherwise may not be affordable for them in urban areas like Bangalore where they get quality education.
- Encourage and attract women with disabilities from rural areas so that they enter mainstream education/career.
- Empower educated women with disabilities to improve their employability skills so as to meet job requirements and lead independent lives
- Provide the much needed support at nominal costs during their “Job Search” phase
- Creating opportunities for women with disabilities from remote areas to gain exposure to urban culture and preparing them to face the competitive world
The facility provides shelter and support to 50 women with disabilities who are working in Bangalore and need accommodation facility.
Call us or register online by clicking here to enrol for support at our CEWD.